Sunday, November 8, 2009

Two Things

So Jeff wrote a very interesting post below, about how "happy" people in Eastern Europe are since "the Changes".  Read it - it's very interesting.  :-)

Meanwhile, I felt I needed to write short little blurbs about two very different things.

First, I'm feeling a bit homesick today.  Probably because I am working on the (hopefully) very last thing to finalize my work for the Park Service on my PhD project.  So I'm thinking about Yellowstone and I'm thinking about Bozeman and I'm thinking about friends and family.  And I'm missing everything (except the loooooooooong Bozeman winters )!  

We got a bunch of pictures from our wedding printed and framed and placed all around our living room.  They are happy reminders that Jeff and I have been so blessed to have the wonderful friends and amazing families we have. 

While I am "enjoying" my adventure abroad (enjoying is in quotes because I'm still not sure what I think of being here), I am missing home both for the people and places, as well as for the ease.  For instance, we have 5 days of freedom next week because all schools in Sofia have been closed down by the Bulgarian government to try to prevent further spread of the flu (and Swine flu).  As we are healthy (so far), we want to take advantage of this "flucation" to travel.  If we were in the States we would hop in our car and drive somewhere.  Here we have to plan what sort of transportation to take: train, bus, plane, or rental car; what language we should know how to say "yes", "no", "hello", and "thank you" in; how difficult will it be to cross borders; which currency will we need; and in general, where should we go!  I hope this doesn't come across as complaining - it's more of a perspective thing.  I'm excited to have this big adventure abroad, and all of the options it presents, but at times I pine for the comfort of the familiar.

So to close this point, I'm missing you - family and friends - wherever you are.  And I'm thankful to have you in my life and to know that you are a phone call/ an email/ a Skype call/ a chat away.  Thank goodness for technology!

My second topic is less emotionally wrought.  You might recall from a previous post that Jeff and I tried to buy some locally made pottery from the Ladies Market in downtown Sofia about a month ago, but were rebuffed by the lady for reasons that still remain a mystery to us.  Well, Jeff finally bought some at the Ethnographic Museum downtown, so we now have place settings for 4.  And here are some of the lovely patterns:


These are from Troyan.  They come in many different colors and each dish is unique - in that these are hand made.  So I wanted to let you all know that this stuff exists and if you are interested in owning a little piece of Bulgaria, we can get pretty much any sort of dish in these designs: plates, bowls, cups, mugs, goblets, salt and pepper shakers, tiny bowls, tiny plates, tiny cups, oil and vinegar bottles, large serving dishes, etc.  So let us know if you would like something!

Happy Sunday!

2 comments:

  1. gorgeous dishes! we are drooling here. glad there is something there to redeem Bulgaria this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now we grin when we eat - because the dishes are so pretty. We especially like finding the inner designs as the food gets shoveled away in our mouths :)

    ReplyDelete